We have built a different way of keyword research into SEO Effect. The new method works much faster, more reliable and offers many more options for finding keywords that you’d never get out of the Google Ads keyword planner. We do this by, among other things, simulating the Google Autosuggest and “people were also looking for …” function.
What has changed?
- Faster and more reliable: your list is generated within 30 seconds on average.
- More suggestions per keyword.
- One seed keyword per keyword research with suggestions
- Targeted search for:
- Variants on your search term (looks like google autosuggest)
- Related words (similar to our old keyword function)
- Questions people ask about your search term
- Variants with prepositions, inserts and adverbs.
- Another strategy for smart keyword research
- No more emails after completion of the investigation (because it’s faster now).
How does the new keyword tool work?
We process your seed keyword in through the Google autosuggestion function, retrieve the suggested variations and proces those also for more suggestions.
For example, you get the following results in the 4 methods of SEO Effect for the word “chocolate”. (Click on the images to enlarge and swipe them)
We show keywords that Google withholds
You can see from the examples above that:
- The lists contain many more words. From an average of 800 to 1400 for variants and suggestions.
- The suggestions are much more extensive than the lists that you generate with Google ads keyword planner.
- The search volumes do come from the keyword planner.
In the Google Ads keyword planner, the results are much thinner: only 682 results compared to 1374 for SEO Effect. And that is in 1 list, not even using the three other options.
In short: SEO Effect reveils what the keyword planner does not want to show you.
What remains the same?
The general approach remains the same:
- Keyword research in research lists
- You get the best words for your campaign from those lists
The five most important research methods remain available:
- Get suggestions based on starting keyword.
- Top 10 to top 100 keywords
- search console
- Suggestions based on competitor URL or your own site.
- Add keywords manually
- More like this from the Campaign Keyword List.
What is coming?
The new source also offers opportunities to do keyword research with sources such as YouTube, Amazon and Instagram and more. So keep an eye out for those improvements.
Another strategy for getting suggestions.
A new method of keyword research also requires a different tactic. After a number of experiments we found the following approach useful in many cases, with the following advantages:
- In many cases, it provides a good starting point.
- It helps not to use up your keyword research quota too quickly.
- It prevents you from having to go through listsof sometimes 1000+ suggestions several times.
In the old approach, we used several starting keywords to properly cover all words around a theme. Two things about that:
- In the old situation we saw too many people making the mistake of mixing words from different themes. Think of TV, refrigerator, washing machines and electric toothbrush, all in one keyword search. In that case the quality of the answer decreases because the request was too varied.
- In the new situation, that scenario would give a list of 4000+ keywords. That’s not very practical.
A good basic approach in the new situation is:
- Do one keyword research with an important word for your website, preferably one step more specific than the most general keyword for that theme. Think of:
- For TVs: LED TV or OLED TV
- For Washing machines: “ecological washing machine” or “best washing machine”.
- For this first step, use the mode: Variants.
- Process the suggestions from the research list variants and place the best words in your Campaign Keyword List.
- Choose the most interesting word for you from those best words: Via what keyword would you like to be found for your website and has a decent or even high search volume.
- Use that keyword to do another keyword search in Related Words mode.
- With these two steps you already have a good list of suggestions and you almost always have good coverage about a theme. If you come across more of the same in follow-up research, you know that you have covered your theme well.
One more tip:
Avoid small sites to do competitive research (with a URL as the starting point for the research). A good chance that you will not get any results. Better to focus on medium-sized or at least best-found sites in the natural search results among your competitors (not Google My Business listings).